How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Saint Charles Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO2?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is among the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Serious poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

Steps you can take to reduce the CO2 risk in your Saint Charles home?

  1. Buy a CO2 detector for each room of your home. You can call Golden Seal Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced some of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us