Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your house, being comfortable in your new room regardless of outdoor temperatures is a priority. However, they can present a unique situation for contentment. This is due to the fact extending ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the increased load, because it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most reasonably priced solutions is to install a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Learn more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a great option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, because they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient because they shift heat to make your space comfier. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for added rebates and reduce your utility expenses for a long time.
Another unique feature is zoned heating and cooling. Because each room often has a dedicated indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is particularly helpful if you have a area with specific temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Having a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s better than extending ductwork and leaning on your current heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total cost will depend on your house, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system might become stressed. When your existing heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your home in advance of the addition. This may overwhelm your system and make it wear down faster.
- Your comfort could decrease. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort might suffer if your system has to cover a larger space. Your heating and cooling could be less effective, and your electricity and gas bills could increase since the system needs to operate more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like regular systems, mini-splits are offered in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Golden Seal Service Experts, we’ll help you get the correct size for your new space. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create huge energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or more when correctly maintained. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Golden Seal Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you select the recommended model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Golden Seal Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Contact us at 630-246-2698 now to request a free consultation and estimate.