When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Golden Seal Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to return out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Golden Seal Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Saint Charles, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Saint Charles or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 630-246-2698 or schedule an appointment with Golden Seal Service Experts through our online scheduler.