When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair technician to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At Golden Seal Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Golden Seal Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Saint Charles, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in Saint Charles or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Golden Seal Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.