Annually, over 20,000 people go to the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Golden Seal Service Experts is here with some tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and change the batteries yearly.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a minimum of three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like concrete or tile. Keep kids and pets away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, buy a model that powers off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Never use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally examined and cleaned yearly.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Golden Seal Service Experts will check to be sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 630-246-2698 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.